Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Nokia vs. Other Brands - the power of marketing

Li Guo I'm sure that if another brand of mobile was thrown against a wall it would also work. My last Sanyo phone for example got dropped several times. It even got liquid on it and still went. The second time it got liquid on it it did die but it was a pretty sturdy phone that was excellent quality. I have just never understood the appeal of the Nokia but I guess that people have different preferences and motivations when buying phones.

If we are comparing brands thenI think its time to compare computer brands. My last three lap tops over the last 4.5 years have been Hewlett Packard but I think when I get my next one I will go for an Apple Mac. They just seem more reliable (maybe thats the marketing) and have better features than Microsoft ones (that combined with my hatred for Microsoft seeing as my Word 2003 has a virus:-(

In one of the early lectures Luke talked about the fetishisation of technology and I thought it was such a ridiculous idea but I have to confess that I myself do the same - my last Sanyo died 2 months ago and I still miss it (the fact we even say "died" humanises it and shows our attachment) and the thought that I have to buy a new lap top shortly is making me cry a little inside. I can't live without it. This is a communications device that makes our life so easy.

Isn't it sad that we live in a day and age when we personalise technology?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home