Monday, September 10, 2007

The Internet is good for more than just myspace and bebo after all!!

I have not posted in a bit but that is because of the lack of an internet connection where I live. THis is of course considering the nature of the course as well as my lifestyle. Anyway on to what my post is about. It boggles me even more so now than before on the wealth of information there is on just about anything past, present and future. I think people who utilise the technology of the internet should really start exploring and learning about new and interesting things rather than checking up on who myspaced or messaged you. Whilst that is great, I think things like youtube and wikipedia for instance can be used to exapnd one's knowledge of the world around not only of today but also the past. Now I know what you are all thinking wikipedia and youtube = useful information!! No Way! But I will show you an example.

Recently I had a conversation with someone and he was saying how he was able to download videos of youtube. So I searched for the necessary tools to allow me to do so and I began my quest to find videos. What initially started as a meaningless way to download music videos etc forayed into me discovering that people have posted full length documentaries, interviews etc covering all sorts of socio-economic topics, From Hip Hop Subcultures to the Weather Man Leftist Movement in the 60s. My point is that a medium such as youtube is not a waste or a time wasting past time if one is able to use it to further their ideals and ways of thinking about the way life affects them.

Also in wikipedia if you search the same sorts of subjects the results are really resourceful. WIkipedia as a reference or guide is not great but the links to external sites ansd resources are great. For instance I searched MAlcolm X on wikipedia. It came with the standard wiki article. But if you scroll to the bottom you are able to read teansacripts, download speeches and watch videos etc therefore in an interactive way you are able to benefit and learn more about different viewpoints and ideas whilst using the same medium which we commonly use to myspace or bebo.

I just think it is a more interesting and fruitful way of spending your time on the internet rather than spending hours on myspace or bebo. Nothing wrong with that but it would be cool if more younger people started searching and reading, watching about these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home