Saturday, July 28, 2007

MySpace Art

I found this weeks' conversations on online identities rather interesting. Primarily because I am a fine arts student, and last semester I created an art project around the idea that there can be an online identity that is not strictly linked to any one person (or indeed any part of one person). I achieved this by simply creating a myspace profile under the name "e_being" (genius, I know). And although it hasn't experienced much activity, I would like to encourage you all to login as this "identity" and do what you like with it (although changing the password is a little sad, and I can always change it back).

The login is e_being@hotmail.com, and the password is "i11usion". I think this is an interesting experiment into the idea of an individual having multiple identities, where one of these identities is actually shared with others, and to a certain degree, out of everyone's control (much like the guy that hacked the MUD in the story in our tutorial).

I would really appreciate your participation.

-Sam Gisler

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I think this is a really interesting idea. In class we talked about one real person having multiple virtual identities, but in the case of the MySpace account you are talking about, it is one virtual person having multiple real identities. Everything is switched around! It's a lot for me to wrap my head around, but I think that the implications of this would be that all the "real" people using the account would find that they could relate to each other by being the same "virtual" person and also somehow, through postings, etc. negotiate what/who exactly this virtual character is. I think that all of the users would want to maintain some sort of consistency with the MySpace account, but it could go in the opposite direction, with the account appearing to be totally schizophrenic.

- Erin O.

July 28, 2007 at 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home