Thursday, July 26, 2007

Emotions and the Internet

In the tutorial yesterday we had talked about how in Turkle's article there was a couple whose husband was becoming emotionally invested in a relationship with a woman online which in turn was upsetting the wife in the relationship. While this is a fascinanting avenue to discuss, I have to say in terms of the online peers that I have through myspace, livejournal etc I happen to think there is a certain amount of emotional attachment to the persons who are your peers on the internet. For instance, with the peers I have you know there real name, age, sex, and a lot of personal details about them. This is because a lot of these blogs whilst being public talk about persoanl issues and problems that they are going through. Like one of the articles in our course talks about it is like a documentary. Back to my point, due to the nature of this you tend to feel emotional about the hardships of the said persons therefore affecting your life in some way. There are even people I know in real life who I have a more emotional connection with them if i talk to them on msn rather than real life. This is because they feel more comfortablw discussing personal behind the securrity of a laptop. It would be interesting to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees with what I am saying.

2 Comments:

Blogger joannechin said...

That is so true. I find that people tend to tell you personal 'stories' through MSN or myspace and so on. It's the security of knowing that there is a screen between me and you, so to speak. I admit, i do it sometimes. it just feels safer!

July 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger liz shaw said...

I think that these days it is certainly a lot safer than it used to be on the internet because so many now use the medium.

Personally I find that it is easy to tell when someone is dodgy and not for real. You just get a feeling about them. Maybe I spend too much time on the internet though:-)

July 31, 2007 at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home