Friday, July 27, 2007

loneliness and technology

In class we were discussing how new forms of communication media may in fact be breaking down our social bonds. This is contrary to the claims made by their creators.

When reading the Jan/Feb issue of Add Busters magazine, I discovered an article entitled 'Loneliness and Technology'. So I thought I would scan it and host it (thanks Kevin) to share with you all.

The story starts by explaining a how a woman lay dead in her London apartment for two years before she was discovered by her land lord. It suggests in a age of advanced communication technologies our social bonds may be breaking down not in spite of media technologies, but because of it! People are calling this woman's death the failing of modern communities, and claiming that new communication technologies are eroding human bonds.

How ever it does mention examples of teens who may be withdrawn in social circles, but witty conversationalists within online forums... And it goes on to suggest that the elderly and terminally ill have been given a new communicative life due to the Internet because they have previously been isolated from physical communication circles due to there conditions.

It raises some interesting points about how the Internet, cell phones and other new communication mediums have changed the way in which we communicate and states that the subtle nuances of face to face communication such as facial expression and body language have been lost.

After reading the story I can see merit in what it is saying but can't seem to form a definitive opinion on this matter. My experience with communities such as Face Book and My Space is they have enabled me to stay in better contact with friends and family living overseas..... I can defiantly see negatives to this form of communication, such as a complete absorbtion and reliance, leading to isolation. But, they have kept me in greater contact with people I may have lost touch with if I had to rely on phone or email alone. Maybe that is because I am a inherently social person, both in the physical world and virtual world. For me though, nothing beats the real thing. There is something about a face to face conversation that fuels my emotion. I hope because of this I won't die behind the keyboard of my lap top, alone, lonely. Sad huh?

Any way read the article and form your own opinion on this matter. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and see if there are any other articles for or against the points raised in 'Loneliness and Technology'.



Superthanks.



Andrew Blackman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Technoculture and New Media said...

Thanks for the article, Andrew. I'm the classic fence sitter on this issue. I agree that someone with a very social disposition is more likely to use the Internet to enhance their social interactions rather than to become 'electronic hermits', whilst the solitary and the introvert may find ways of overcoming their inhibitions but may equally withdraw into the apparent safety of the virtual world and substitute online communication for the broader canvass of interactions that constitute a rich social life in the 21st century.

July 29, 2007 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home