Sunday, October 7, 2007

Another form of ankle monitoring

Mobile phones, oh how they run our lives. I'm 21 years old and it was just 5 years ago that the thought of mobile phones being an absolute necessity in my life was farfetched and ridiculous. When I think of those mobile phone-less days, I wander just how on earth I managed to get around. How did I manage to keep in contact with people? Well, if I think just a little, it's called direct face-to-face contact, that's how I kept in contact with people. Oh, so obvious yet it is something that some people take for granted.

So what is it that makes mobile phones so invaluable to us. I would describe mobile phones as some sort of ankle monitoring device, but with special features to hide this basic function. When I say ankle monitoring device, I mean this in two ways. The first being the obvious, and that is the whole 'big brother is watching' aspect and the second being the people in your life. So the 'big brother' aspect is well known and yet not so publicly talked about, or the significance isn't made so well known.

However it is the second way that mobile phones act as a big brother that I find interesting. I think this is extremely relevant if you have a partner in your life. The accessibility of mobile phones proves to make excellent tracking devices for the people in your life, whether they be you other half, or your parents, or whoever. Going about in your everday life, a simple text or call by these people and it has been normalised that you immediately text them back saying where you are or what you're doing, or whatever it is they are asking. Vodafone hasn't made ignoring this instant reaction any easier with plans such as Best M8 and Txt2000. Therefore there is just no excuse! Sometimes you just want some time to yourself, and mobile phones are proving to make this option next to impossible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home