Thursday, September 6, 2007

Topping Up a Cellphone has never caused this much drama!

Cellphones are a vital part and make up a large part of what we see as technoculture today, and therefore this brings me to my next blog entry!

Its the 21st Century. Toping up your cellphone should not be a one hour experience. For me, this is not a problem as i am on contract, however, the other day i decided to top up my grandmas 'Telecom' mobile for her. Firstly, my grandma is 82 and has recently learnt how to text and therefore her phone credit goes flying out the window each time we top her up as she has become the texting pro and fills up much of her day sending texts.... to everyone....!

I was topping her phone up via credit card and therefore had to ring the customer service desk on the Telecom help line. My phone call was soon picked up by a male who had a distinct 'American' accent. He asked me what i wanted and i replyed that i needed to top up my grandmas phone with $50 credit. After taking my credit card details he said sure and said "one moment please i will do that for you now" returning 5 minutes later he said im sorry but the system is slow today and could you repeat your details. Anyway, to cut my extra long story short, i ended up staying on the line for almost 45minutes after he told me tht Telecom had recently set up there 'Top Up" office in the Phillipines and that i was actually talking to him on the other side of the world.

I ended up having a good old conversation with a stranger, finding out that his parents actually want to move to New Zealand, maybe Wellington or Palmerston North..... and that many customers get so angry with the slow service that they hang up on him... funny that!!

He told me that it wasn't the Phillipines with the slow internet connection tht was preventing my request from going through, but instead that it was New Zealands slow internet speed. What a coincidence to what we have previously discussed.

In the end i said farewell to my new found friend, and made sure i wasnt being charged for an overseas call, he reassured me tht i did in fact ring a 0800 number.

Next time i think ill just go and buy my grandma a top up card.

Minnie S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home