Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Mac as a gaming platform?

So as you may have guessed, I am not a gamer myself. I used to play computer games in the mid 1980s but things have long since passed me by. Now, as my kids are getting into computer games (Wii and Gameboy mainly at this stage) I guess I am being forced to reconnect with the world of gaming just a little. I got an advert through from Apple today advertising a range of new EA games for the new generation of Intel-based Macs - things like Madden, Need for Speed and Battlefield 2142. The trailers look impressive to my untrained eyes, but what do I know? Those of you more in the know than I may have an opinion on whether the Mac is likely to emerge as a serious alternative to the PC for game enthusiasts? Or those in the know may just chuckle knowingly at such a question. Should I be excited at the prospect of playing with guns and fast cars on my Mac Book Pro or should I just stick to my child-friendly Wii games?

2 Comments:

Blogger Polifonix said...

There's really no reason why mac couldn't be a contender. Especially since the disaster that is Windows Vista came onto the market, and many people are in turn heading towards getting Macs. And your Mac Book Pro certainly has the processing power to handle many many games... But I'm not exactly an expert!

September 20, 2007 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Hugh said...

If it's an Intel-based Mac (or even if it's not?) you could try running games through something like Parallels or whatever that bridging software is called.

As to whether or not OS X will ever become a viable platform for developers to focus on solely, I don't think anything will eclipse the x86 market.

Anyway, isn't every games company focussing more towards consoles anyway — like they have been for the past ten (at least certainly the past five) years...? Aren't PCs themselves merging with TV (however one defines television these days, with digital and on-demand streams an all) to become a sort of holy grail home entertainment multiplex? if that's the case, why design anything for a standalone machine, why not just develop for consoles alone?

September 21, 2007 at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home