Sunday, September 30, 2007

How i want you to see me.....

Was originally going to talk about the emergence of the DVD and how much it had 'really' matured as a technology, but to be honest when loading my photos from a 21st last night, i thought id share my thoughts on how we construct out personal profiles online with these social networking sites i.e. facebook, bebo, myspace.

My essay focussed precisely on this, considering i answered the question on how virtual identites are constructed online.

I was loading my photos from last night and realised that with the photos that had me in them, i would make a conscoius decision as to whether id upload it or not. However with the other photos of just friends, id upload them straight away. It was obvious that this was my attempt to put myself in the best possible light and frame the particular image that i wanted my profile to have.
I want you to think of when you start your profile and also when you modify it. Undoubtedly, you'll do the same. in fact every aspect of our profiles is carfeully constructed and chosen to show people not who we really are but who we want them to think we are. You may disagree. No doubt most of your profiles and your friends profiles will replicate quite closely the real persoanlity of the person, however there wil always be the subtle changes and adjustments that are made behind the scenes to shape it into a particular image. This is done through mainly what photots u upload, your choice of song to have playing, what you state under your interests and also which friends you choose to communicate with online. Essentially what you are doing is creating your virtual identity as one that you see showcases an ideal version of yourself....

Anyway i can hear the legend that is Ray Warren commenting on the League Grand Final currently showing on Sky Sport so ill be ff to catch that, would love to know if anyone furiously disagrees with the issues raised...

take care, Dave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home