Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Site of Interest for Blogging

The Dionaea House.

I'll be bringing this up in tutorial this week, but this is a website that uses the tropes and forms of webpages and blogs to make the story more evocative, in the same way that radio-show fiction is shaped to be read over the air. I'll be interested to see what people think of it.

As instructions go, follow the Next button at the bottom of the page until you reach a page called "Updates and Other Resources." Then read in date order for best effect.

When you reach a link that goes to a blog, the oldest posts are at the bottom of the page, so reading in date order means you start there.

And instantly, I have made this sound far more boring than I found it. Go me.

- Kevin.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I didn't really read the title of your blog post, "Blogging Fiction," and just clicked on the link and started reading. I was really, really creeped out after I read everything. I thought it was real because it seems so true with all the blogs, etc. to back it up. It's really not real? Wow.

August 1, 2007 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Kevin Veale said...

Success!

That story scared the bejeezus out of me, and I'm fascinated with how it used the format and tropes of the web to make itself more evocative.

If it creeped out even one person, I thought I'd see it as a win.

What about the way it was put together made it more creepy for you?

Also, as you pointed out it might be even more effective without being telegraphed that it's fiction, so I've changed the title of the post in the hopes of snaring more readers.

- Kevin.

August 2, 2007 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I think the fact that it incorporated disbelievers into the story line really made it more effective. Also, because comments on blogs seem very personal to me, seeing real/unreal people comment on the blogs made the story seem legitimate. Some of the comments even ventured to say that "people" saying the story is fiction is really part of the whole trap to get more people ensnared by the house. This whole idea sent my head into a confused, scary place full of speculation. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night.

August 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Kevin Veale said...

Yeah, it made me sleepless when I read it too, and I made the mistake of reading it late at night when alone in a big creaky house. Not a wise move.

Sorry to have damaged sleep patterns, but glad you thought it was interesting.

And yes, the whole Blog Comments thing was both a major point in its favour, and simultaneously a problem as you wound up with people popping up to say "Wow the story is cool!" partway through telling it through the responses, which kind of ruined the vibe.

- Kevin.

August 2, 2007 at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home