Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My 1st Blog

Right so far I have figured out that our class contains many who are completely in tune with whats going on in 'cyberspace' ... and then there are people like me who know how to use it but haven't a clue what MUDs, VBlogs, or any of the other technical jargon is!? So as my first post I'd like to take a huge amount of time to explain my relationship to this suppousedly new phenomenon. And being the wonderful Blog/Internet site that this is, if you don't care... You can just keep on scrolling down!!

So my most vivid memory of our classes so far has been the documentry we watched of the two girls and their 'fake boyfriends' on BEBO, slightly disturbing yet equally intriguing as well. So basically the story is framed in such a way that personal sites such as MySpace, Bebo and the like are highly dangerous, and opens us up to the weird and wild dangers of the world?? My opinion on this matter... those kids were naive, the internet will only be dangerous if we chose to use it in such a way that makes it harmful i.e. putting your real name, address, phone numbers etc in a place where anyone, anywhere can read it. Go figure.

I myself, am indeed a self-confessed BEBO addict, not only does it allow me to keep in touch with my mates around the world but I can let them know what I'm up too as well (pretty sure thats why the site was created). But I have never made personal contact with someone I don't know, given my number out to anyone over the public sites and thus never fallen victim to some psycho 15 year old girl pretending to be a charming young boy named John?! I have a 14yr old niece whos father forbids her from having a personal webpage for the same old argument that it entices stalkers, paedophiles etc. I then wonder is the internet blogs, personal web pages etc not like alcohol, drugs, underage clubbing etc. Parents know that kids are going to do it, so shouldn't they just teach them safety and precautions... Maybe I'm naive.

Anyway I'm pretty sure this is far from what I'm suppoused to be writing about, but theres my opinion on Personal Webpages...

Lena W

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I agree completely that the internet is a place where caution should be exercised. It requires that parents actively work to protect their children from its evils. However, a major problem with safety for kids on the internet today is the generation gap. Many parents simply have no idea what is going on in the world wide web and therefore no clue on what they should be protecting their children from. Sure, they have a vague idea from watching news programs or radio programs, but these tend to be more scary than informational. So I think most parents feel they can only protect their kids by cutting them off from some internet sites completely. I am sure that when our generation has children it will be more equipped to teach them internet safety. But who knows if we may end up like our parents--a little, if not totally, disconnected from the new trends on the web and what harm they can cause.

- Erin O.

August 1, 2007 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Lagi said...

Nah lena..go home:) lol

i agree....with what erin said.lol.


BUHHH BYE!
XOX
:)

August 1, 2007 at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home