Saturday, September 1, 2007

Internet speeds and our frustration

When the internet was first created in 1958 it was designed to be a tool that the military would use. Since that time it has grown into an industry and something we use several times a day. It has also become the subject of controversy. Originally there was controversy about the safety of people but more recently the controversy has related to the speed of the internet. Now I will say that I "know nothing" about this subject matter, but can I ask a serious question, why the hell does it matter if broadband is only 100MBs rather than say the international standard of 0.1 seconds. What does it matter if a page takes 10 seconds to load? In the grand scheme of things that doesn't really matter. It sure beats the dial up speed of a minute, but even so does that really matter???

I'm a fan of the internet, don't get me wrong, I spend several hours a day surfing sites and checking my email but I don't care if it takes 10 seconds for a page to load. I don't download illegally, in fact I very rarely download full stop because I simply can't be bothered. that is not because of the speed at all. It's just that there's nothing I really want to download. Has anybody thought that maybe the speeds are being restricted because people are downloading illegally and has anyone thought that maybe having a "slow" speed is an attempt to try and curb this?!?!?!?!?!

Sure, we may not be up to the international standard but do we really want to be? To my knowledge China has 110,000 Internet cafés. Do we really want to end up like them? Do we really want to end up a nation of people who sit at computers and have limited social skills (offline)????

Maybe its a good thing that we aren't up to the international standard and we just need to be looking at this from a completely different angle, coz from my angle I don't see a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home