Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bebo, Macs and Tin Toy!

This blog post of mine will be a bit all over the place as a i have different little bits to discuss that interest me, however i am having a wee bit of a mind block!

1. Firstly, I know this has already been discussed on previous blog posts however, im a little slow and decided to add my input. Bebo has come under close examination in the media recently as it is used as evidence to the killing of Augustine Borrell an Auckland Grammer School Student. No, i am not a secret investigator so i was just doing this 'investigating' on my own free will and just for personal interest, so i decided to go onto bebo and search Augustine himself. Since his sudden death, Augustines page has been blocked from public viewing, however i did find some members of his friends and family, aswell as a memorial page. This was a giant eye opener for me as it showed the immense sympathy that was portrayed even from individuals that had never met Augustine before. In saying this there was still some disturbing comments posted on this bebo page, for example an individual under the name of "Hitler" shared his view on Augustines killing saying "i go to white parties and there are no problems go back to your own country... (with the occasional swear word added in) this made me realise that in a time of greif for the family and friends, bebo was helping them in someways were individuals wer sending comforting sympathy messages, however others added nothing but un called for opinions. And i bet this didnt help either as these were strangers giving there two bits worth. Bebo did help in providing evidence for the Augustine case, but how valid is this site.

Earlier in FTVMS 203 when we saw a 20/20 story on false identities on bebo this was an eye opener, this just proves its so easy on online communities to deceive, lie and create a whole new identity other than something of the truth. How valid is something you read on MySpace, Facebook or Bebo?

2. Something on a very different note: Macs or PCs? Since i can remember ive always used a PC. A few days ago my mum purchased a new laptop - a Mac. This was chosen due to the advice of a successful sales manager who recently attended a conference. He, himself had never used a Mac, however after attending the Mac conference he told us that he was sold. He would never use another PC again. hmmm. Well we brought home my mums Mac, and the trouble started there with me. Usually, u know u turn it on, press a button and Bam ur on the internet. However, maybe my brain is uncapable of using Macs. Finding the 'Internet' button was a mission in its self for me. Gosh. Maybe ill stick to my PC, after all its my Mums Mac and im sure she'l figure it out, thank god i don't have to... i don't think id be able to!

3. Lastly, going back to last weeks lecture - I just wanted to say Wow! i loved Tin Toy haha. So much better than ToyStory. Really. I found it captured my attention very easily. The reason? Im not to sure, maybe the cute Tin Toy? I must say the baby was a wee bit scary looking though. I had no idea that in 1988 such things existed. Maybe im just not up with it, even though the picture quality may have looked dated, i was very impressed.

Anyway thats it for now, sorry my blog is all over the place, hope it is readable!
Have a good week!

Minnie Singh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home