Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Mash Up of a Blog

Seeing as we have been discussing Mash Ups lately in class I have decided that my blog today will be a bit of that exact thing. There are quite a few things I'd like to discuss.

1) Blogs and Online Communities. I started the course hating blogs and online communities having spent over a year trying to detox from them (semi successfully) but tonight I found myself becoming strangely excited that one forum I still post on (the only one really excluding this and my myspace) has been modified and now we can show pictures. I looked at the pictures that some of the other people have used and while I have used a picture of myself, others have either used no picture or they have used a picture of something completely random. I also looked at a couple of the profiles and nobody has information in them. I guess they want to keep their privacy for the same reason many parents don't want their kids getting hooked on online discussion boards etc etc. I wonder if one day there will be internet addicts anonymous, thats if there isn't already of course.

2) In class on Monday there was some discussion surrounding movies and a couple of people said that movies in the 80s and 90s were more "mainstream" and didn't really deal with "larger, more important" issues. I'd like to disagree with this point and raise the point with a few examples such as Outbreak which is a movie that deals with the notion of corruption and deception that the US government is so frequently guilty of, then there is Titanic, a movie based on a true story and even earlier than this would be Casablanca. Other deep movies to come out in recent times would include the philosophical Waking Life.

3) Nostalgia was mentioned in class too, nostalgia for old music, old movies and old technology. There was an article I read earlier this year in Craccum and it may not be the most reliable source of information but the article was about memories and how we mourn for the past. I agree with this. It's not necessarily that the past actually IS better than what we have now, but it is the memory we get attached to. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the production of music I prefer when the music is not digitally enhanced as I just find its not real and it tends to feel fake and doesn't have the same emotion. I'd like to say each to their own but I really can't. Music, or any form of artistic expression should be about the emotion that goes on rather than letting some computer do it for you.

That's all for this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home