Thursday, August 9, 2007

Is Vista really that Good?

I first get in touch with the Vista at the beginning of this year, when I got my new laptop. The seller told me a lot of advantage about this new software, like a Mac-like interface, improved security, and far better networking, it's a great improvement over Windows XP.

Actually, the advantage I can only feel is the new interface. Transparent windows slide into place with animations, there are useful gadgets on the right side of the screen, and the colours are subtler than in previous versions of windows.Windows Aero, which features windows with glassy, translucent edges, and whose colours, level of transparency, and saturation can be customized. The most amazing thing I found is the Windows Flip 3D, I can see thumbnails of all windows as I rotate them, and all these windows are in there dimension.

For me, there is no other good thing about Vista compare to windows Xp, except the better interface. Yet, I still have to mention that some function about this Vista even though I don’t really need them.

First would be the network and Sharing Center, which lets you easily configure to and managing multiple networks, and accessing all of your network’s resources. Second, Wireless Networking. It is say that, this is a good feature if Vista which is easy to manage, and with good security, but I never use it before. Third, the search function might be useful, there is a very powerful advanced search tool that lets you narrow your search by date, file size, author, tags, and location. You can even search other computer on your network (as long as you have the right to read from the other PCs).

Yet, there are many worst things that I realize when I using Vista. First of all, it is a really price product. Then, the power battery can only be used for only one and a half hour even though I fully charged it everytime (for laptop). Thirdly, very high requirement to hardware, any computer program were produced before 2006 are not suppose to run vista. At lease, your computer has to include 1GHz CPU, 1GB internal memory and DirectX 9 display card.

Like any new operating system, though, there are things you’ll love about it, and things you’ll hate about it. I still measuring if I should keep using Vista or change it back to Xp.

-Xiaofei H

2 Comments:

Blogger Polifonix said...

Firstly, wireless networking is available on Windows XP, likewise, a customisable interface can be installed as well if you know what you are doing, as for the battery, thats more of a laptop hardware isse than an vista issue. There are many flaws in vista that are widely known, it has been much criticised due to the amount of bugs that the program contains, and it's incompatibility with many, many programs. Needless to say, Apple is stoked that microsoft could stuff up this bad, and macs are now becoming far more popular than they were before, similarly, many businesses are having vista uninstalled from their brand new computers and having XP re-installed as it is so much more reliable (and is still windows).

August 10, 2007 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Hugh said...

I've been running Vista on my two-year-old laptop 24/7* since the early public Beta came out in November, and I've never had any problems. As I see it, it's just a better, nicer version of XP.

*Literally; I never turn it off. :p

August 11, 2007 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home